Alternate to Air Cooling Re: <VV> Electric cooling fan results

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Wed Aug 1 22:12:37 EDT 2007

Tony,
    You're missing the point!  Ton K. was able to  extract so much HP from
the Corvair engine by using major quantities of WATER  injection into the
combustion process.  As that great automotive pioneer  Sir Harry Ricardo proved many
years ago, on a turbocharged engine you can make  MAJOR increases in TORQUE
(what engineeris call BMEP) without having to enrich  the A/F mixture and
without increasing the PEAK combustion pressure that  make detonation and break
things.
    If it was good enough for Tom K. and Harry Ricardo  as well as over
20,000 of our WW2 fighter planes, it should be good enough for  us.
    Evaporating water cools a lot better than ambient  air flow.
    Frank "aquaman" Burkhard

In a message dated 7/31/2007 5:39:11 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tonyu at roava.net writes:

At 12:18  PM 7/31/2007, FrankCB at aol.com wrote:

>Gee Tony, maybe we should  ask Tom Keosababian just what sort of FAN he  used
>for cooling  during his 157 mph (on gasoline) and 170 mph (on
>propane) runs   at
>Bonneville.

No need to ask... :)   I have a photo  somewhere of his engine and it
has a mag fan as I recall.

But we're  talking about fan efficiency.   TK had power available to
spin  his mag fan for the duration of his run without having to worry
about  every last ERG to do what he wanted to do.

>He must have been  putting out well over 300 HP for these  runs.  I'd say
>he had  a LOT more waste heat to get rid of than the 95 hp  car
>driven at  40 to
>60 mph!!

But could he have done it with an electric  motor running ANY sort of
fan?   Not likely...  ;)