[fastvair] Re: <VV> Electric cooling fan results

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Thu Aug 2 12:15:16 EDT 2007

Seth,
    Well, if you can do it with a low HP fan, you might  be able to pull it
off.  A ONE HP fan, at 100% efficiency, uses 62 amps of  12 volt electricity.
But as you go to 2 or 3 HP fans, the consumption, of  course, double and
triples.  So if the fan is 3 HP and the drain on the  battery is 186 amps, a 100
amp-hr battery should, perhaps, be able to supply 5  minutes of power.  But then
you'd have to recharge the battery for  over a half hour if you're using the
Corvair's alternator.  But, at  the same time, you'd have to keep running
cooling air through the  engine, so it would take lots longer to do both together.
 Maybe you'd  need a SECOND battery to handle the short term load.
    Not an easy problem to resolve.
    Regards,
    Frank "trying to stay cool in 80+ deg. weather"  Burkhard

In a message dated 8/2/2007 11:36:31 AM Eastern Daylight Time,