<VV> COOLING FANS - outside the box - Way outside

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Thu Aug 2 16:20:23 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/2/2007 12:59:09 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
GBrandes at loebermotors.com writes:

Hi  all,

I can't remember when a topic has gone on this long( unless people  were
flaming each other) but the only thing I've seen that would seem to  work
without loosing horse power or performance his a small gas engine  driven
cool fan.

How about another one. Most every Corvair, whether street driven or in most
competition need to have the exhaust muffled. That muffler, no matter what
kind,  is a parasite on the motor, even if just the extra weight it adds. Does
the hot  exhaust of the Corvair carry enough heat/volume to drive a Turbocharger
style  cooling fan that could help cool the motor? Use the inlet side only
for  handling cooling air, leave the motor normally aspirated. Send the
compressor  output directly into the fan area of the motor. What is the CFM of an
E-flow turbo on max boost, or some other exhaust driven turbo/fan set-up. Would
the exhaust be restricted? Yes. But the muffler(s) does that now.  Is there
anybody old enough to remember the "Turbonique" direct drive engine. It used a
small gas turbine, as I recall, to direct drive the rear wheels. The nice
thing  about an auxiliary drive for cooling the motor is that it is (generally
speaking) unrestricted by sanctioning bodies. How about a small gas turbine
driving the cooling fan on the motor? With some kind of gear reduction to  keep
the speed of the fan down to a reasonable RPM. - Seth  Emerson