<VV> Air Conditioning Mistake - Is it Serious? (No Corvair)

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Thu Aug 2 19:32:02 EDT 2007

Hello,

During our recent bout of hot weather (96F is HOT here in the U.P.) I
noticed that the A/C on my 2001 Dodge 2500 truck (86K miles) was not
cooling as it should.  I put my R134a gauge set on and found that the freon
charge was low; the compressor was cycling at about 10 sec intervals and
causing the low pressure cutoff switch to trip at 25 psi.  I grabbed a can
out of my box of A/C stuff that was advertised as a R134a/leak stop/seal
conditioner mixture. I figured it would not hurt to put that in, as the
same concoction sealed the slow leak in my wife's '93 Jeep GC (143K miles),
so I did. The system was still a bit low according to the gauges, so I
hooked up another can of R134a and brought it up to where it should be.  A
check inside and nice cold air is blowing from the ducts--good!!!

However, as I was cleaning up I read the fine print on the cans and
discovered that the concoction can also contained polyol ester oil.  The
sticker on the radiator support says that the system was charged at the
factory with PAG oil.  Have I just screwed up the system by adding (about
1/2 oz) the wrong oil?  So far it has been working just fine.  Should I
just leave it alone?

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI