<VV> Electric cooling fan results

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Fri Aug 3 13:26:33 EDT 2007

At 06:03 PM 8/1/2007, you wrote:

>  To absorb more heat, there's only one option left, MORE AIR FLOW!!

This is obvious.   A better fan that's more efficient is
needed.  Something which wouldn't require as much power to spin.

>The FIAT was also cooling an engine with well less than half the HP,
>so, its cooling demand isn't even as high as a Corvair!

Still, the Fiat's fan design looks much more efficient, makes me
wonder whether a similar design would do on a 'Vair engine with the
proper shroud around it.   Hey, there aren't that many fans out there
that come even close to what's needed.

>The scoops in the rear fenders of modern Porsches are for radiators
>(meaning water cooled cars) and/or intercoolers.

This is also obvious... no air cooled Porsches for years.

>Again, looking at the shroud pressure of an air cooled engine (which
>is WAY higher than the air pressure through a radiator, by something
>like a factor of 10!

The designs are nowhere similar.   Radiators in cars are intended to
hang in the breeze, with a fan in place to suck or blow air through
them only when there's not enough forward motion for the breeze to do
it.   Serious pressurization (or suction) of the area between an
electric fan and the radiator is unnecessary because the air flow
requirements at idle or low speeds are low.  This is middle school science.

However... if the car is running at high speed on the Interstate or
the straight stretch at VIR and working the engine hard, and if you
were to measure the mean pressure in front of that same radiator I'd
wager it wouldn't differ from the shroud pressure of an air cooled
engine by anything *near* a factor of 10.    In fact, I bet it would
be pretty close, if not just as much or maybe even more.

Get that calculator out and see what sort of pressure would be in
front of the radiator of my '66 Plymouth at 70 mph... with the front
grill opening at around 11" x 50" feeding a "box" funnelling that
pressurized air against a radiator 30" wide and 22" tall.

Back to Corvairs:   We need to get more flow through the
engine.   And, we need to figure a way to do it without costing hp.

Isn't this the whole point behind this thread to begin with?

A stock late model 'Vair engine has a lot of restrictions to air
flow... including the lower shrouds and their additional hardware
that does nothing to improve cooling at all, which is why the engine
cools better without them.   But then there's no engine heat control
and no heater in winter...  no big deal for a race car, or me and the
'60 though.  ;)   Anyway, it's wearing a mag fan now which, sorry as
it is, still cools better than that '60 fan did.   But the mag fan
ain't enough if the engine in question is turbocharged and tweaked
and/or run hard.   Things get hot fast, been there done that bought
the rebuild kit.

So:   How would YOU go about improving the cooling system on a
Corvair engine, outside of the obvious like sealing and deflashing
and bottom shroud removal and remote oil cooler etc?  We're talking
improved hardware.   Ever give it much thought?

Remember, detractors, I'm attempting to milk the minds of those who
are smarter than me.    Delete at your pleasure.

tony..