<VV> KYB shocks for late model

Edelstein and Payne eandp at mindspring.com
Fri Aug 3 13:52:38 EDT 2007

Folks,

     I'm doing some minor upgrades on the "new" coupe that I acquired last weekend, and decided I would put some performance shocks on it.  I've been using KYB shocks on my 55 Nomad and some other cars for years, and they have provided good performance at a moderate price.  We'll Clark's only lists them for the rear. About 3 years ago I had gotten both front and rear KYB shocks from Rick Stansbury at Corvair Motorsports (which is now out of business), so I had some part numbers off of those.  Unfortunately the fronts that I got from Rick were for 2" drop springs (it's Doran's "hot rod").  I needed a shock with a longer "reach" for the front that would work with stock springs.

    I got in touch with a guy named Ray at Performance Suspension Technology (PST), who gave me the number to KYB, and Troy on the tech line there found me some shocks for the front that were 2.2" longer ---exactly what I needed.  Called Ray back at PST with the part numbers, and the total for all 4 shocks, including shipping came to $174.  That's not dirt cheap, but cheaper than anywhere else we could probably find them.  So I thought that I would pass this along for folks who want a "performance" shock, but aren't willing to fork out the big bucks for the Konis.  The part numbers for the front are KG5476, and for the rear KG5551.  [Note: on the rear you do need to enlarge the lower hole slightly]

               Travis Payne   65 Monza coupe
               Raleigh, NC    65 500 coupe