<VV> Manifold heat soak

JVHRoberts at aol.com JVHRoberts at aol.com
Sat Aug 4 10:37:27 EDT 2007

If you're talking exhaust manifolds, it simply will melt. That's why the
turbine housing is cast iron.
The reason the rest of the turbo doesn't melt is there's a heat shield
between the turbine housing and the bearing housing, and there's somewhere  around
1/2 a gallon of oil per minute cooling the thing.
Of course, the compressor end gets nowhere neat hot enough to be an issue.
I have seen melted turbo cold ends in car fires, however...
There's a reason why no production cars have aluminum exhaust manifolds,  and
the few marine applications that do, are water cooled. And they melt when
the cooling fails.

In a message dated 8/4/2007 10:25:29 AM Eastern Daylight Time,