<VV> Cooling the Corvair Engine

James Davis jld at wk.net
Sat Aug 4 23:05:49 EDT 2007

The Ultra Van will maintain a 30 degree differential just by using
engine heat with headers cruising at 60 mph.  There is also a 15,000
btu propane heater if the ambient is colder than 40 degrees
F.  Remember the engine has full lower shrouds. Low oil temperature
is never a problem on an Ultra Van.  Even with an ambient of 15
degrees F, the oil temper will run 230/240 without an external oil
cooler.  The UV frontal area is twice that of a car and the Cd is
0.77 or so the engine needs to produce over three times the power
output of a car,under comparable conditions.   You can hear the
engine with the heat on but it is not objectionable as the heat duct
is 16 feet behind the driver.. With the heat off, I cannot hear the
engine; that is why most traveling UV owners have a Safeguard.
Jim Davis  .