<VV> Fans

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Sun Aug 5 21:57:15 EDT 2007

Well, here I am again!!  I was referred to
_www.offroadvw.net/tech/wes/fan.html_ (http://www.offroadvw.net/tech/wes/fan.html)   and found some very
interesting data there.  Following that, I looked up  "fan laws" on Google.  Now I
have some idea of why 'Vair fans act the way  they do--has anyone ever hooked up
a tach. to the fan pulley to measure  slippage?  I still think, after reading
"The Classic Corvair" by Bob Helt,  that the '61~'63 fans, which have
slightly better CFM, SP and HP ratings (as  tested by GM) would make a lovely unit if
someone could partially disassemble  one and use it as a pattern to cast a
fan in aluminium; if the casting material  was very fine-grained and the molds
were carefully aligned, I think the fan  could be cast in two parts and
fastened together to yield a unit considerably  lighter than the steel original.
Well, tomorrow, it looks like I put my  money where my mouth is and go visit
Larry's Corvair Parts and either buy and  take home or take measurements in the
shop to set an idea of what has to be done  to improve the fan.

I'll let y'all know what I find out when I get it sorted out.

Scotty from Hollyweird