<VV> Autocross report

levair at aol.com levair at aol.com
Sun Aug 5 21:31:56 EDT 2007

“Born to be Wild!”.

“Headin’ down the highway searchin’ for adventure………”

At the very last minute Sat. evening before registration closed, I entered the South Bend Region VS Fort Wayne Region  Challenge autocross at the Tire Rack Testing facility.

 I really hadn’t planned on going to any event today due to non recovery from the Corvair Convention; but had this great urge for adventure. I wanted to go somewhere where I had never been before. Normally I wouldn’t, even consider going this far for an autocross ; almost 150 miles and 2 ½ hours one way, but I made some money at the convention---thanks parts buyers.

  The Tire rack has a test track  which greatly reminds me of the Marshalltown Go Kart track if you throw a circular skid pap in the center. All great, smooth asphalt also.

I took the 64 Roadster which I have been ignoring in preparation for the convention. I wanted to run without a handicap carried on my back.

Typical of Indiana, it was clear when starting at 5:30 AM but was pouring rain upon arrival. Crap, rain gear and soaked shoes again, The rain tires in the trailer were for the Vintage car, not the EM  Roadster.

   I went to the drivers meeting fully expecting to cancel and go home. The rain stopped then. I got to run in the last heat, and I got a Safety Steward work assignment. I guess that they give that assignment to the oldest and feeblest there—I’ll take it. All of these events caused the decision to stay.

   I got pylons on the first run of the first slalom –tight , maybe 30 ft—and almost blew the first acute right turn. Then the sweepers came , hard acute entries but great curves. I guess the acute entries were the necessary point and squirt parts. I was accidentaly  geared just right for the following chicanes toward the finish—I saw the shift light come on in second gear.

   On the third of 4 runs I got FTD by .5 sec and was 1.5 sec ahead of the nationally competitive CP cars of which I am usually 2 sec. shy of in my CP Stinger.

   On the 4th run I missed the only 1-2 two shift and blew the run. This little Roots blown Corvair is capable of starting and running in 2nd gear. I got greedy at the Start---my fault. There was a proper curved start before the light—a gentle start was the right way anyway.

    I needed this result—what a poor start resulting in a great day.

I visited with Bill Kowalesky and his wife Monica. They were driving an HS Honda. This was Monica’s first solo and first trophy. Bill K . started the original performance group—“Team Anhydrous”. Great to visit with old friends

South Bend Region is very friendy and helpful. and also very gracious when they lose the challenge. Lloyd Loring is a real pro of an announcer.

   It’ll be nearly a month before I get to run again , but the Roadster is still loaded.

Warren