<VV> Chrome

Rt66Vairs at aol.com Rt66Vairs at aol.com
Mon Aug 6 17:29:29 EDT 2007

In a message dated 7/29/2007 10:51:35 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
mvjacobi at comcast.net writes:

Hi

Thanks to an informative piece in the Communiqué, my plan to  polish up the
headlight bezels on the 63 has had to be cancelled.

I  wonder if you can actually have aluminum chromed...real chrome  plating,
then clear coated.

Anyone ever try this?

The way to  unanodize aluminum described in the magazine sounds like either a
trip to  the emergency room or a quick call to one of the vendors for
replacement  bezels.

Mike in Michigan

I did a write up on this for our Newsletter earlier this year.

Use oven cleaner to deanodize... Much safer and less likely to cause  damage.

Let it soak for about an hour then rinse and scrub with a scotchbrite pad  or
sponge.

If it doesn't all come off the first time... Do it again. I've used this
method for many years.

IT WORKS!

Then remove the dents... file and sand to about 600 to 800 grit and  buff.

I use the clearcoat sold by Ace hardware. Works for me.

Tim  Abney

Inland Empire Corvair Club