<VV> Re: Garage Ideas - Futures

Chris & Bill Strickland lechevrier at earthlink.net
Tue Aug 7 22:00:34 EDT 2007

JVHRoberts at aol.com wrote:

> Hardly anyone uses copper for over 30 amps.
> Personally, I think 60 amps is plenty. I mean, what are you going to
> run out there?

Well, for a "dream garage", a heat pump (warm in winter, cool in
summer), refrigerator (beer cooler), oven (for heating heads),
dishwasher (for cleaning parts), water heater, water cooler (for those
that don't drink beer), chest freezer (cause the wife doesn't want it in
the house, and you have that great big shop ...), welders, lights, air
compressor, computer work station (looking things up on CD), fans, and
what ever else I've forgotten ... like battery chargers, modern tire
machines (some have electric motors), some woodworking equipment,
drills, buffers, maybe a lathe, and if we are going there, a mill,
grinders -- I don't think there is an end to this list, microwave,
blender (if this is part of what you do), so since we are dreaming, plan
that you may eventually be adding all this stuff to your shop, and you
need the extra capacity in case the freezer, fridge, water heater, and
air compressor just happen to all come on at the same time while you are
welding.

Yeah, AL might "work" and it certainly will be less money (not as much
less as it used to be), but since we are "dreaming", copper is best!
Also better is panel boxes with copper buss bars.

Bill S