<VV> ignitor II vs. regular points

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Wed Aug 8 13:52:19 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/7/2007 10:51:49 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
Sethracer at aol.com writes:

The  ignitor is less sensitive to distributor shaft wobble
than   points.

Mark,
    We noticed that effect when Jim and I bought and  installed an Ignitor II
on his 140 Corsa in the parking lot at one of the  Conventions a few years
ago.  The idle immediately smoothed out indicating  that the original
decades-old distgributor shaft did have some wobble in  it.  I'd say that the Ignitor,
like Charity or a BIG battery "covers a  multitude of sins".  In a perfectly
stock engine with all new ignition  parts perfectly maintained, it probably is
overkill.
    If you do install it, remember that you  definitely need to check and
most likely reset the base ignition timing, since  it will most probably change.
Also I recommend carrying a spare set of  points and a timing light as
insurance "just in case" a sudden failure  occurs.
    Frank "sparky" Burkhard