<VV> RE: THE MARVELOUS CORVAIR

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 8 16:39:22 EDT 2007

As Bill points out, Chevy was simply following Ford's proven formula. Ford
rebodied the Falcon on the cheap and had an instant hit. To reengineer the
Corvair engine and drivetrain for big displacement was an unnecessary
expense, when they already had of-the-shelf engines and drivetrains
suitable for that purpose. Incidentally, they DID try putting those engines
in a Corvair configuration, but (in the words of one engineer) that quickly
became gross. (BTW I've seen the pictures of those test vehicles, and even
one of the actual transaxles that was in one of them.) That's not to say
the CorV-8 isn't a neat vehicle mod, just that for production purposes it
was "quick and dirty" to just rebody the Chevy II and be done with it. OK,
the car would be a total reversal of the Corvair formula. But so was going
from an economy car to a road-burning sport(y) car. The REAL point to this
is that they really wanted to continue the Corvair "line" even if it meant
a total rethink of the drive train/layout. And that isn't something GM
hadn't done before or wouldn't do again. In a way, I really wish Ralphie
hadn't come on the scene when he did, because it would be interesting had
Camaro people had to accept their car as having a first and second
generation rear-engine heritage. Think on THAT one for a while!

-Mark