<VV> Re: (no subject)

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Wed Aug 8 21:58:39 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/7/2007 1:51:53 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
mfrancis at wi.rr.com writes:

Hi  Scotty,
I think we’ve had a breakthrough,  at least in the manner that we would have
to go  through.
This is a more ‘doable’ plan than  my first recommendation the whole fan be
duplicated in carbon  fiber.
Rather than starting from scratch,  in the creation of a fan, the existing 11
blade fan can become the base of a  more developed composite magnesium/carbon
fiber  assembly.
I can mold a carbon fiber top ring  , that bonds down to the top of each of
the existing mag vanes, that have been  relieved of enough material along the
top  (.080”), to form two tabs which key  into the cut top-ring slots.
This can be used to make a really  simple fan modification that should
compress better than the open, stock  design, with just the top ring.
But the process can be taken one  step further, and additional flat carbon
vanes, just the length of the ring  width, can be installed between the existing
mag vanes, to create a 22 vane  compressor fan.
We can then measure the output of  the two designs to compare.
With this bonded assembly, we gain  the advantage of a 22 vane fan at about ¼
the weight of the steel  fan.
And much easier to modify existing  fans than to reinvent the wheel,
literally
If the assembly works out as a  viable alternative, I could probably modify
these fans on an exchange basis.  They’ll have to be re-balanced, too.
My initial goal would be to supply  a fan that works well for an
electric-motor installation, which should pump an  ample
volume of air at lower speed, say  about 3000 rpm, constant speed. They could
be viable in a higher speed belt  driven setup too, but that goal could be
left to a later development  point.
Regards,  Mel

Good thinking; how can I help?  For the shape of the top ring,  check out
page 43 of Bob Helt's "The Classic Corvair" where the 3 types of fans  are shown;
incidentally, the 16-vane fan looks (under the vanes) just like the  24-vane
unit; I'm trying to figure out whether the vanes on the 16-vane unit are
welded to the upper and lower rings or hammered in like rivets-the rings look in
some places as though there were rectangular holes made and that maybe the
vanes  had tabs on them for riveting or welding.

Scotty from Hollyweird