<VV> $51K+ Corvair

wrsssatty at aol.com wrsssatty at aol.com
Thu Aug 9 10:22:12 EDT 2007

I know Seth posted here a few days ago about race driver, Dan Gurney, professing his love for the '62 Spyder convertible in a side-bar to an article about the "25 Greatest Cars of All Time" in the September issue of Automobile magazine.? But, to the best of my knowledge, no one has yet mentioned page 145 of the same magazine in the monthly "UPSHIFT>>AUCTIONS"?? column the?report of a '64 Spyder convertible that sold at a private-collection auction of retired GM dealer, John McMullen, for $51,700.? I'll type that again as I am quoting what the magazine reported:? $51,700.? The magazine described the red/red/white top car as; "Not a fresh restoration; the paint is faded and lacks luster" and "Like the exterior, the interior is solid and complete but not fresh or exciting."? The blurb concludes; "For the seller, this result was a home run hit way out of the ballpark, as this is record terrritory for Corvairs of any year or model.? At least two people at the sale seemed to want a Corvair at any expense.? At this price, which was at least five times the estimate, one of them had his wish granted."

~Bill Stanley