<VV> How much R134A...

EVERETT WILSON aircooled6 at prodigy.net
Thu Aug 9 11:35:13 EDT 2007

Cash,

  I just did this with my 67 with a retrofit of a sanden compressor from Clark's.  THe amount of 134a will be slightly differentfor your car, but the idea is the same.

  Everything I read on various searches on google said use 85 percent of what the r-12 system had in it.  OK.  The sticker on my 67 said 4.0 lbs of R12.  I think the 65s had more than that, like 4.5 or 5.0 lbs.  If it was 4.5 lbs, that would be  72 Ozs times 85% is 61.2 ozs.  Thats a bit more than 5 of the commonly available 12 oz cans, so go buy 6 of them.

  Now, I used the 85 pct rule and found my pressures were reading pretty low.  So I went to some other car make boards and searched to find that they said the 85 pct rule was a nice place to start, but if pressures were off and it wasnt a mechanical problem, add more to normalize the pressures. OR  The other method was to just slowly add more until the outlet temp of the center vent stopped decreasing and started to increase.  Is that all confusing, or what?

  So, I added the 85 pct, then got another can and added most of it and I have pressures around where they should be (26-35 low / 185-215 high) and I have center vent temps of 38 degrees on recirculate (air button not depressed, cool button at max depression) and 95 outside temp.

  Oh, I had to adjust the thermostat on the side of the evaporator a bit when I still had r12 because it would never cool down much before kicking off, even at max cool setting.

  Since the car was from iowa, they apparently never wanted super cooling, but I did.  I have not had to adjust it again with this changeover, although I could probably tweak another degree or two out of it, I feel its not worth it.  Once I fix the large hole in the underdash hose to the center vent, I think it will be perfect.  The air coming out is quite cold, especially if engine speed is over about 2500 rpm, but the volume is low because it is cooling the back of the radio at the moment.   I may change to a front mounted condensor next season, but havent decided yet.

  Hope this helps!

  Everett Wilson
  North Richland Hills TX

Cash Case <cash.case at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
  Hi guys-
I'm changing the AC system in my '65 500 coupe to R134A.
Does anyone know how much I should expect to put into the system to
have it fully charged?
-Thanks in advance-
-Cash