<VV> Convention results

Brian bmoneill at juno.com
Fri Aug 10 09:14:49 EDT 2007

I just looked at the convnetion results and was again stunned to see the figures form the Econo Run.  They are unbeleiveable. These milage figures have no conection with reality.In past years I have seen cars with four donut spares; others coasting on the side of an Interstate; tires pumped up to double the safe inflation; and many ohter dangerous actions.I beleive that we (CORSA) are in danger of having serious legal problems. Should there be an accident or incident involving a particpant, CORSA as sponsor of the event could find itself in a legal battle.  I know that we have insurance but we do not need the hassle nor the adverse publicity.  It is a game and a dangerous one.
The whole Econo Run event needs a serious review.  The rules need to be more stringent in regard to the things particpants can do.  The cars need to be in the same condition as they would be for normal street driving.  Tire pressures must be wihtin a safe range; all carburators msut be connected and have working accelerator pumps. Time limits must be set to ensure that legal speeds are maintained.
At first, enforcement of these requirements might seem impossible.  The answer is to impound the winners and the next two finishers in each class.  A very quick check of tire pressures and
working carburators and accelerator pumps would be done.  Anyone failing these checks would be disqualified.