<VV> Fan/ Cooling idea from a newbie....

Jeff Wilson jwilson at unctv.org
Fri Aug 10 12:30:52 EDT 2007

Hi all- Jeff Wilson from NC here... just got my 65 500-series
110 HP home the other day. First Vair I've owned- I'm sure
I'll be inundatiing you all with semi-stupid newbie questions soon.

But I figured I'd get my feet wet by wading into the whole fans
and cooling war that's been waging lately.

Okay, I'm no engineer, but....

If I had been designing these cars back in 1959 (the year I was
born, by the way), I'd have done it this way....

Ram-air scoops on the back fenders... a THERMOSTATICALLY
controlled fan (running off the engine via belts) on top.

At 'speed', ram-air flows over the engine for cooling- fan does not
turn. At start-up, since engine is cool- fan does not turn, PLUS no
ram-air, so everything heats up quickly. At low speeds/ stoplights
as engine gets HOT fan comes on... until you start to move again
(ram air flows, engine cools, thermostatic clutch lets loose).

The only place this system falls apart that I can think of would be a long
slow hill climb.... But the factory system seems to fall down in this
instance
also.

Advantages: at speed (when more power is needed) fan does NOT turn
at all, robbing NO power from the engine.

Feasable?

CJ Wilson