<VV> Re: Econorun safety - VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 31, Issue 51

Bruce Schug bwschug at charter.net
Fri Aug 10 19:13:41 EDT 2007

On Aug 10, 2007, at 4:49 PM, Mark Corbin wrote:

> I'm beginning to think that we have ONE too many events. Maybe the
> econorun
> SHOULD be run during the TSD rally. Would solve the problem in one fell
> swoop, AND shorten the convention by a day to boot.

No, this is not a good idea. Economy runs are not run with rally
instructions and rallies are not run with economy run instructions.
Similarly, concourse entrants shouldn't get extra points for racing to
the concourse field ahead of their competitors and autocrossers
shouldn't get bonus time subtracted from their times if their cars look
really nice. These are four separate events that deserve their own
time.

The economy run, is not a leg of the rally. This was tried at the
Asheville convention with disastrous results.

As I wrote before, the problem with the economy run and all the other
events is that often the eventmasters don't set them up properly. Rules
and guidelines don't mean anything if not followed. The result is
people getting lost on economy runs and driving dangerously slow, silly
fun-and-games rallies that prove little about who is a good ralliest,
and autocrosses with a 15 second FTD.

Eventmsters need to be familiar with the event then read the rules over
and over until they understand them, then follow the rules and event
guidelines in setting up the event. It's that simple.

Bruce

Bruce W. Schug
President, CORSA South Carolina
Greenville, SC