<VV> Econorun thoughts (long)

Dale Dewald dkdewald at pasty.net
Sat Aug 11 09:32:18 EDT 2007

At 10:37 8/10/07 -0400, bmoneill at juno.com wrote:

>I just looked at the convnetion results and was again stunned to see the
>figures form the Econo Run.  They are unbeleiveable. These milage figures
>have no conection with reality.

Excuse me, but with the exception of one incongruity, all of the mileage
figures ARE legitimate. I was able to get almost 32 MPG with our '65
Greenbrier by using a few simple techniques--non of which were
unsafe--inconvenient perhaps, but not unsafe. I use many of these
techniques in my day to day driving whereas most people do not.  This is
the reason I consistently get 3-5 MPG better fuel economy than my wife, no
matter which vehicle either of us drive.

>In past years I have seen cars with four donut spares; others coasting on
>the side of an Interstate; tires pumped up to double the safe inflation;
>and many ohter dangerous actions.

I believe that the current version of the rules prohibits the vehicle
modifications you describe.  The time limit effectively DNF's participants
who drive to slowly.

>I beleive that we (CORSA) are in danger of having serious legal problems.
>Should there be an accident or incident involving a particpant, CORSA as
>sponsor of the event could find itself in a legal battle.  I know that we
>have insurance but we do not need the hassle nor the adverse
>publicity.  It is a game and a dangerous one.

This may have been more of a problem before the latest rule revision.

>The whole Econo Run event needs a serious review.  The rules need to be
>more stringent in regard to the things particpants can do.  The cars need
>to be in the same condition as they would be for normal street
>driving.  Tire pressures must be wihtin a safe range; all carburators msut
>be connected and have working accelerator pumps. Time limits must be set
>to ensure that legal speeds are maintained.

The rules state that the cars must be in safe, streetable condition.  I
cannot comprehend how moderate over inflation (5-10 psi) of the tires
constitutes a safety issue.  Tires are designed to operate at full load at
high speed (usually 90-150+ MPH!!) while inflated to their rated pressure
while cold.  The temperature rise at these extremes will be at least
5-10psi if not more.  Certainly, the economy run participants will not be
subjecting their tires to these conditions.   If you were to read the
Autocross Rules, there it is recommended that DOT type tires should be
slightly over inflated to get their best performance (the equivalent of
driving on warm tires).

I think that requirements concerning the function of carburetors
(disconnecting secondaries, accelerator pumps, etc) are unenforceable and
simply do not need to be enforced.  A 140 can easily be driven so as to
never activate the secondaries.  What is to prevent one from removing the
accelerator pump cups?  Do we now tear down the top finisher's
carburetors?  This is not NASCAR....

A time limit already exists in the rules.  I believe I was the first to
enforce it when I chaired the Economy run at Daytona Beach in 2000.

>At first, enforcement of these requirements might seem impossible.  The
>answer is to impound the winners and the next two finishers in each
>class.  A very quick check of tire pressures and
>working carburators and accelerator pumps would be done.  Anyone failing
>these checks would be disqualified.

This would be impractical as there will simply not be enough room at the
finish filling station.  The top finishers will not be known until all of
the cars have been refueled.

++++++++++++

I do have one idea for rules revision: We could allow the event officials
to post a hidden checkpoint using a radar or other means to clock the
competitor's speeds. Any competitor that is found in violation of the speed
laws, whether minimum or maximum, could be DNF'ed.

BTW: My techniques for driving the economy run:
1) Inflate tires to approximately 5 psi over sidewall rating.  This was
done in preparation for the autocross the day before.  In my case, 51 psi
front, 56psi rear, this for V-rated tires with a cold inflation rating of
51 psi.
2) Wherever possible, skip 2nd or 3rd gear when accelerating. Speed shift
to avoid activating the accelerator pumps.
3) Shut off engine when stopped or coasting to a stop.  This is not a
safety issue as long as the ignition switch is only turned off long enough
to kill the engine, then turned back on to maintain function of the turn
signals. There are no essential power accessories on a stock Corvair.
4) Draft (at a safe distance) a truck or other large vehicle while on the
freeway or other high speed roads.
5) Drive at the speed limit or as necessary to hit synchronized traffic
lights green.
6) Drive at 35-40 MPH (maximum efficiency) where it is safe and practical
to do so.  Allow other traffic to pass.
7) LOOK ahead 1/4 to 1/2 mile at traffic and road conditions and adjust
speeds to avoid rapid acceleration and braking.

Dale Dewald
Hancock, MI