<VV> Rally/Economy Run

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 11 12:18:08 EDT 2007

Yes, I have. And while I can see your point, my suggestion (which seems to
have sparked a lot of posts - G) is that the Rally should/could include
either a leg for econorun purposes, OR have the econorun overlaid on it. It
could "start" at a gas station, proceed directly to the "start" of the
rally, and finish the same way (in reverse). And YES it can be done.

The point of doing this is that an "econorun" run with or as a rally (or at
least in a similar manner) would pretty much negate all the insane
"super-econo" tricks that are beginning to look really dangerous. You
simply wouldn't be able to do such things to boost the economy of your car
and still post a good rally score. And THAT was all I was trying to get
people to think about. Whether the two events are, in reality, combined or
run separately is up to those who want to run those event(s).

As far as shortening the convention, I wanted to get people to think about
how many activities we have, and how it seems that it is getting impossible
to schedule everything without anyone having conflicts of activities. The
suggestion was only meant to be food for thought. In reality, maybe the
REAL solution is to instead have one EXTRA day devoted to no "major" events
(rally, econorun, concours, autocross), but instead simply have a day to
schedule nothing BUT meetings, tech sessions, social parties, and other
activities, so as to take the pressure off overlaying those meetings, etc.
with each other and the major events. OR we could have that day's "major"
activity be a simple driving tour - with no rally-type directions, just
straightforward ones, and NO scoring of any kind. And personally, I
wouldn't mind having the convention last longer (as long as I can afford
the extra hotel bill - G). Too much Corvair is never enough.

Final thought - maybe for next year's convention (which is going to start
one day earlier anyway) they should continue having the banquet on
Saturday, with the time between Friday evening and Saturday evening that
"extra" day of meetings, etc. Just food for thought.......

-Mark