<VV> Re: CPF FUNDing

Mark Corbin airvair at earthlink.net
Sun Aug 12 15:23:47 EDT 2007

Having experience with my own Lodge's endowment fund, being on the Temple Board for some years now, I can tell you that having to hire a professional to manage an endowment fund is NOT necessary. Only a good broker, which you can get at any investment house as standard equipment  (to put it in car terms.) And anybody who tells you differently is probably out only to line his own pockets at our expense.

Also, the sole idea behind  an endowment fund is so that the operating fund doesn't have to rely on donations. The interest, from day one, from the endowment can be used by the operating fund. As to donations to the operating fund drying up, I rather doubt that happening, especially with a policy of only accepting $1000+ donations to the endowment. Smaller donations are usually par for the course.  I only mentioned having to fund the operations from CORSA's general fund to illustrate a worst-case senerio. In practice, few if anything that the CPF does today would "require" an expenditure. For the most part, the CPF board has only spent money when that money was available. So the worst-case senerio is probably not going to happen.

I think that what the CORSA board needs is a volunteeer to manage the CPF Endowment Fund. I'd recommend Tony Vizyak, if he wasn't laid up, because he also is on my  Lodge'sTemple Board, and knows about our endowment fund, even though he hasn't had as many years experience as I do.

-Mark