<VV> powerglide pan debris

Tony Underwood tonyu at roava.net
Mon Aug 13 15:26:54 EDT 2007

At 10:16 PM 8/12/2007, Frank DuVal wrote:
>Finding debris in the pan of automatic transmissions is normal. It
>is fine particles from the wearing of clutches, plates, drums and the case.
>
>Until it quits working, just change the fluid and keep driving! And
>when it quits working, the case is typically fine for rebuilding. I
>have not taken an original pan off yet and not found a pile of debris.

I'll second this.    When I pull an automatic transmission pan off
something made in the '60s, even if the transmission is working
flawlessly I *expect* to see some debris in the bottom, and likely
stuff in the filter as well.   It's normal.   Automatic
transmissions, particularly older ones, shed stuff as they wear and
it ends up in the bottom of the pan and in the filter
screen.   Nothing to worry about.   I'd be much more concerned if the
fluid was brown or smelled burned.

If you drop the pan on a Powerglide and there's no debris in it, the
transmission is either unused or has been recently serviced or
overhauled etc.   If it's been run for any length of time, you'll
find stuff in the pan.

By the way, you will also find steel particles among the
stuff.   Drag a magnet through it and it will come out fuzzy with
former gear tooth surface.    It used to be an old trick at garages
during a fluid and filter change to show a customer the transmission
pan, "mechanic" runs a finger through it or drags the magnet etc and
tells the customer the transmission is "worn badly" and needs an
overhaul.   This old scam is not done so much anymore, especially
with modern transmissions that don't "shed" like the transmissions of
the '50s and '60s.

tony..