<VV> Pops out of Third!!! ARGH!!!!

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Aug 15 20:25:47 EDT 2007

Check the adjustment first, as the linkage needs to seat the third gear
synchro unit fully onto the input shaft.

If the synchro unit seats fully, the teeth on the synchro unit and the
input shaft have probably worn triangular instead of flat, and the
pressure of the input shaft turning is forcing the synchro unit out of
its seat. Replacement of parts is the only solution to this problem.

I have never had this happen in a Corvair, but seen it in large trucks
(school busses).

Frank DuVal