<VV> RE: Dummy transaxle for transport (Humor)

Mike Stillwell yenko117 at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 16 11:03:43 EDT 2007

 This all reminds me of an episode in my Corvair life
from a few years ago. I was junking a late car with no
transaxle. I have more trailing arms than I will ever
need, so I left them on the car. I winched it up on
the trailer nose first and went off to the yard. Well
getting the beast off was a whole 'nother story. As
soon I tried to roll it back off, the wheels went out
sideways and it stopped. Not a probelm right? I jacked
it up (I was smart enough to bring the floor jack), to
block up wheels and tie the strut rods together to get
it off. Didn't work - tires rubbed against the fender
wells. Tried taking the tires off, but with no impact
wrench, they just spun - nothing to adequately block
them as they were on the deck of the trailer. I was
trying to be slick and do this all on an extended
lunch break from work, so I was starting to feel the
pressure of the added delays. So from all this comes a
stroke of genius, or was it a case of heat stroke?
There was an ancient dump truck parked close to the
drop spot. I chained the hulk to the dump truck, stood
back and told the wife to pull the rig forward and
figured it would drag the tires on the trailer, but
otherwise come off pretty well. Wouldn't you know that
after 25 years, the old truck decided to take a
stroll. A string of profanity prompted my wife to stop
the rig, which didn't stop the dump truck - more
profanity got her moving forward - up the hill and
ended the excitement without collision. The car was
still on the trailer.
 I eventually made a framework of lumber and used the
floor jack to ease the thing off the trailer and was
back very late from lunch. A year later I cut the next
car up into pieces that could be disposed of by
hand....

 Live and learn,

 Mike