<VV> Fuse Warning (non-Corvair)

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Thu Aug 16 19:17:08 EDT 2007

Folks -

Sorry for the crosspost to both groups. I try to refrain from that...

At work today, we got forwarded a safety warning from our Resident
Engineer @ GM Powertrain.  There were pix which I can't attach here,
but the short of it is that they have seen at least 2 late-model
vehicles come back with REALLY burned up wiring harnesses.

The root of the problem in both cases turned out to be the use of a
replacement 15A blade fuse that did not properly blow at the rated
15A.  The GM engineers obtained the fuses the customers had used (in
both cases made in China and sold through Harbor Freight in a boxed
assortment) and tested them.  The 15A fuses they tested didn't "pop"
until over 50A!  By this time, the fuse itself was a melted blob and
the wires was really hosed.

I've got the information at work showing the Harbor Freight packaging
and giving their part # and all, but needless to say, it might be
prudent to avoid Chinese made fuses altogether...  It's quite possible
these same parts are being rebranded and sold through lots of 3rd parties.

Caveat Fusor!

Jim Burkhard