<VV> Fans & Belts

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Sat Aug 18 11:06:04 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/18/2007 12:00:24 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
lechevrier at earthlink.net writes:

While  ruminating about the recent fan discussions here,  a couple things
came to mind -- fan belt slippage at the fan for higher rpm, and the use
of wrapped fan belts which more easily "slip" down into the pulley
grooves (keeping the belts on.

So, do the wrapped fan belts cause  cooling inefficiency (overheating)
during spirited driving?  Would  cut belts cool better if you could keep
them on?

hmmmm  ...

Bill S

Any belt that is slipping causes inefficiency, but the problem is that the
HP requirement of any fan rises as the CUBE of the RPM and the belt has to slip
 or drag the engine's output down.  The '62/'63 fans are the most efficient
in producing cooling effect but the problem there is the sheer weight of the
sheet steel ( the fan weighs @3.8 pounds (on my bathroom scale; sorry, that's
the only one I can use.) The idea of using an electric-motor-driven
constant-speed fan is good, but (someone correct me if I'm wrong) the fan that  Ken
Hand and Frank Parker installed and tested was a propellor fan, which except  in
special casings, doesn't pump well against resistance (which rises as the
SQUARE of the RPM.) The CFM only rises linearly with the RPM, so that just
speeding up the fan is wasteful of energy.  Perhaps a larger fan pulley (to  slow
the fan) would help, as the present pulley drives the fan at 1.58 times
engine RPM.  Maybe this would be unacceptable at idle or in traffic; I  don't know.

Scotty from Hollyweird