<VV> UV #299 Engine Start on YouTube

Dan & Synde dsjkling at sbcglobal.net
Sat Aug 18 13:52:59 EDT 2007

Hi All,

Finally got some spare time and uploaded the engine startup video for
UltraVan #299 to
YouTube!! I cut some of the video out, the part showing the engine
running at 2000+ rpm for 10 minutes but most of the rest of it is
there including the engine running out of gas. At first, I was
thinking seized engine but since I could still crank it over and
there was no gas getting to the carburators, that was ruled out
quickly. I guess I was a bit paranoid about the hypereutectic
pistons and their close tolerance. It's the first time I've ever
used them. Apparently, our tank goes below the main line when there
is about 7.5gal of gas left. It took me a bit to remember to pull
the knob on the dash to switch it.

We took it camping last week for the first time. It performed
well. I don't want to push it yet so I shifted manually to low
several times along the way. It kept right up with the RV traffic
though. The reworked upper spring perches were a bit noisy. I'm
going to install some different spring cushions and see if that
helps quiet them. The sound I'm hearing is the side of the spring
rubbing on the perch. I'm going to try the coil cushions that some
later model mustangs have over the ends of the coil. They are
actually a polyurethane tube that slips over the coil providing
cushioning to the side.

It's an exciting video to me because it shows a culmination of many
months of work.  May be a bit dry for some.   I'll post some more videos
when I have time. We
have some video of it being backed out of dry dock, our first drive
that was cut short and our first camping trip that I'll post clips
of. See the link below for the engine startup video on YouTube.

<http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vz6G_sAohSU>

Dan Kling

1961 Greenbrier Deluxe, 4spd, 3.89  On the Road Again,  yeehaw :)
1963 Spyder, restored   4spd Saginaw
1967 Ultravan #299  Newest of the herd!! Almost killed me already!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/81412237@N00/sets/
A few pictures of the Greenbrier, UltraVan, engine and tranny tear down with
more to come!