<VV> Mysterious Clicking Noise--Distributor Problem???

David George dgeorge at heritage-consultants.com
Sat Aug 18 17:39:30 EDT 2007

I have searched the archives, but I have not been able to find an answer to my issue. Here it is: after chasing several vacuum leaks, I have changed all the lines and think I have eliminated the leaks, but now I have a new issue. Might all be distributor related, but I would appreciate your opinions. When first accelerating,I hear a clicking noise coming from the right rear of the motor. Sounds like something rubbing on plastic, not like a lifter. It only happens until the car gets up to speed, then stops (or at least gets quiet enough not to hear from the driver's seat). If I give the motor throttle by hand, it sounds to me as if the clicking noise is coming from the distributor area. Pulled the cap and everything looked pretty good to me. Ever so, I had a new cap and rotor in the toolkit, so I replaced them. Noise remained. I have also noticed that since I have repaired various vacuum leaks at the carbs and balance tube, my timing now sits at idle at about 12 with the VA off, but jumps up over 16 with the VA hooked up. Idle goes up too. No pinging or overheating though. Any guesses as to the source of the mysterious clicking noise? Are the two related to a distibutor problem? Thanks!

Dave