<VV> Failed emissions test

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Sat Aug 18 22:53:19 EDT 2007

Daniel,
    When you retard the base spark timing by 10 deg  from where you now have
it (as Jim recommends) and raise the idle speed to near  1000 rpm, make SURE
that the vacuum advance does NOT come into operation and  cause spark advance.
When I used to do this exact same procedure many  years ago to Jim's 140
(before he "inherited" it from me<GG>) the throttle  plate would open far enough
to cause operation of the vacuum advance which would  negate my retard of the
base timing.  So I had to disconnect the vacuum  advance tubing from the
distributor and plug it to keep the faster idle timing  from advancing.  The car
drove like it had only about 40 hp but as soon as  it passed the emission test I
restored it back to its normal full power  operation.
    Good luck and let us know you you make out with the  emission test.
    Regards,
    Frank "the elder" Burkhard

In a message dated 8/17/2007 3:31:39 PM Eastern Daylight Time,