<VV> 140 Powerglide ID

Bill Hubbell whubbell at umich.edu
Mon Aug 20 23:12:11 EDT 2007

I don't think you can tell very easily.  According to Bob Ballew's book on
Powerglide Transmissions, the only real differences are the Governor and the
valve body (different parts numbers).  The 140-PG is supposed to have a dab
of orange (or pink or purple) paint on the front cover of the case, on the
Governor gear, and on the valve body.  If the paint dabs aren't there (and
why should they be after 40+ years?) you are stuck comparing governors and
valve bodies to each other.

I don't want to repeat everything Bob says in his book about the
differences, suffice to say that the GM literature is woefully lacking on
the subject of the 140 powerglide.  If you are interested in the subject, I
believe Corvanatics will sell you a copy of Bob Ballew's book for a small
fee.

Bill Hubbell