<VV> OK is it true or not ?

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Aug 22 16:36:51 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/22/2007 1:23:23 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
corvette at velocity.net writes:

guys  have been telling me at the Cruises about the corvair motors falling
out of  the cars when driveing them down  the road years ago , can ,and did this
 ever happen ,they keep telling me to watch for it to happen to my corvair ,
i  am new to corvairs , the New-B , Frank From Near Erie Pa  .

Can it happen? Yes

Has it happened? Yes - Ignorance of installation procedures can cause the
rear motor mount to separate and the back part of the engine to drop downwards.
The engine cannot "Fall out" as in laying there, by itself on the ground. It
can  happen on late models, if the pair of rear nuts are not torqued or the
wrong  nuts are installed - the stockers are self-locking. It is more common
(but  still rare) on early models. If the nut is not secured, the motor mount can
come  apart and the engine drops down at the rear. It's like asking a Pinto
owner if  his fuel tank has exploded. Or - much more commonly, 1960's era Chevy
V8  motor mounts come apart internally, allowing the engine to rotate in the
chassis  causing the carb linkage to accelerate the motor - as in "crash!"
There was a  factory recall to put limiting straps on the engines. That one cost
GM a bundle.  I don't "recall" a recall on Corvair motor mounts. - Seth
Emerson