<VV> Generator verses Alternator

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Aug 24 12:50:34 EDT 2007

Most GM cars had alternators in 1963. Corvairs and FC's waited until 1965
model year. Why? I don't know.

Chrysler had alternators on the compacts (Valiant and Lancer) with the
slant six engine when they first came out, 1960. I do not know about the
rest of the Chrysler offerings.

I'm away from my manuals, but IIRC, Ford was still using generators in
1965, going to alternators in 1966 for Mustangs, Falcons, etc.

Frank DuVal

Oh, more Corvair content:

The 1960 generator is smaller in length than the 61 to 64 generator, and
the 1964 generator has a larger diameter fan to get more cooling through
it. The Corvair generator armature turns opposite of a regular GM car, and
has a left hand thread nut holding the fan on. A regular turning armature
(right hand thread) can be used in a Corvair field housing if the original
armature is shorted or open.