<VV> Fan & idler pulley bearing temps.

D. Monasterio dmonasterio at megared.net.mx
Sat Aug 25 18:35:00 EDT 2007

    Today, while preparing/checking "El Andariego" (the 67 cpe.) for a 1,300 miles round trip, I heard some bearing noise. By touching with a finger, felt some vibration on the idler pulley bearing while the fan bearing was silent. This remind me about these same bearings on the GB  (new ones, unknown brand, probably Chinese) which seemed hot to touching under normal operation.
    So, took out an infrared thermometer for checkings and comparisions. On the car, temps. were 100° F on the fan bearing and 131° F on idler bearing. On the GB, they were 98°F both. These tests confirmed that car's idler bearing needs replacement and the new bearings on the GB are fine. Both tests were made with warmed engines and hood open. Thermometer was at about 1" and pointing to the shaft.
    Have somebody tested these and other bearings operation by temperature measurement ?  If so, which temps. were found on good working bearings.

    Thanks