<VV> Corvair autocross report--long

Levair at aol.com Levair at aol.com
Sun Aug 26 21:52:29 EDT 2007

In a message dated 8/26/2007 9:48:18 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Levair
writes:

Or:

Finding the weakest link.

Michael and I went to the Indy Region Austrialian pursuit today. The  weather
was terrific for Indiana--low 80s, sunny, beautiful.
  The Pursuit was hourglass/snowman shaped with big sweepers on the  ends
where a car could spin between the inner and outer borders and not hit an
cone---many did spin just that way.
  Cars started on opposite sides of the course and had two laps to  gain on
the other one. A hit cone was instant death.
   There were four groups ranging from the pure stock cars and  ending with
the modified ones.
   I worked during the 2nd group which was mostly pony cars and  AWD Rally
cars.
  I had a sit- down job due to using the pitiful borrowing car look  plus
adding the feeble senior citizen visual plea--thanks guys.
   Judging by the performance of the Rally cars I wouldn't have  been
surprised to have seen them take it all, right to the end. I did learn  how to tell
an Mitzi EVO from a Subaru. Subaru have hood scoops and EVOs had  hood intake
holes. Good to know, I though they were all 300 hp 4 door sedans  with a trophy
shelf(wing)  on the back.
   Sometimes a two driver car will be bracketed to run against  itself. The
answer is to borrow another similar car for the run off. It was  suggested that
if you couldn't look pitiful enough to borrow then the car  owner and
borrower could just have as foot race. THIS ACTUALLY HAPPENED.   The Miata's car
owner won the one lap foot race.
   The gird was like the brackets in ball games. The losers  went into
another bracket and could work their way back to the top. Plus 1st  run losers could
take 3rd runs and all could buy $1 fun runs at the end. This  was because
some don't come to Pursuits due to losing right away and not  getting many runs.
   I had a pocket full of $1 bills just for that reason.
Everyone's logical pick  for overall win was Clemens Burger --an  excellent
driver in any car--in his 800 #  55" wide 1100cc Suzuki powered  BM Sports
racer. I rather thought a mistake on Clemens part could have put a  Rally car or
Scott Dale's SM Mini in the lead.
      Michael ran his CP Corvair and lost right  away and then worked his way
back to the top 3rd or better. I loved listening  to his 13/1, 6 into one
engine. I never heard my own. Adrenaline seems to plug  your ears.
   I had previous trouble with my Roots blown mid engine  Corvair Roadster
consisting of blowing off the intake tubes. NO pop off  valves, you don't want
to pop off a combustable mixture. I fixed the tubes  recently.
   Last week I changed the blower pulley for more boost. This  morning, I
adjusted the rear anti roll bar for Maximum stiffness. The theory  was to get
some oversteer in order to stay on the inside line. Conversely,The  large Stinger
has to use an exaggerated late apex and can't stay on the inside  line.
      The roll bar adjustment worked great. I  was able to approach the
sweepers at full acceleration, brake to toss the back  out just a little an then
apply just enough power oversteer to drive the  sweeper without any more
steering (from the steering wheel) ----rear wheel  drive power oversteer is the
greatest fun ever!!!
    I lost track of how many runs I had (8+?). I lost to  the Sports Racer,
went to the loser's bracket and worked my way back to the  winning Sports Racer
again. I made many back to back runs toward the end--hard  on this old
fellow. I didn't need the pocket full of ones after all.
   I was in a dead heat with the Sports Racer on the final  deciding run( or
so I thought), One more lap to go, if I could hang on. Then I  heard this
awful big boom from behind me, coasted off to the side --Oh well,  2nd overall
isn't too bad.
   The big Boom was caused by the next weakest link. The bottom  of the
pressurized intake manifold simply blew apart. My blower pulley change  was likely
the culprit.
   It was a wonderful  day in all ways. I simply loved the  course and the
close competition. Kudos to Indy Region.
    I skipped the trophy presentation and made it home in  time to shower off
the sun block and make it to Church.  I am truly  blessed.

Warren