<VV> Fans (AGAIN.)(G)

ScottyGrover at aol.com ScottyGrover at aol.com
Tue Aug 28 00:49:27 EDT 2007

I've been reading R.P. Benzinger's article in the SAE papers and I find  some
interesting statements which I would like to have clarified, if anyone can
help.
In the section re: cooling system, he says that restricting the inlet with  a
fan ring is more effective than blocking the outlet for unloading the fan
drive (he includes a graph); why then did GM get rid of the fan ring and go to
the exit doors? Cost? Complexity?
Early fan (24-vane) burst strength is good for 8000 RPM.  Granted that  later
fans (16-vane) are more complex in their construction, could it be that  they
could handle the high RPM before they have structural problems?
The 24-vane fans were made from .060" sheet steel.  Does anyone have  any
idea what thickness of aluminium would be required to duplicate the strength  of
this fan under load?
The 16-vane fans were made with radial blades having a forward curve to
their leading edges so as to scoop air into the space between the blades.   This
tends to load the fan drive.  Backward-inclined blades are standard on  HVAC
blowers to lower the load on the motor when the fan is heavily loaded; they
induce slip and don't load the fan the way the OEM fans load the 'Vair drive; is
anyone familiar with this type of fan wheel and could say whether it could be
 adapted to a 'Vair?

Scotty from Hollyweird