<VV> Norm Latulippe, NECC Lime Rock Record

rbuckridge at comcast.net rbuckridge at comcast.net
Wed Aug 29 10:15:18 EDT 2007

I was at Lime Rock the year Norm set the record at 104.09, that was in 1988. I also remember talking with Norm and asking why the wheels on the car all "looked different". Norm quickly rattled off the wheel settings for each corner of his car.

At the time I didn't know anything about chassis set up, but was amazed as to the detail he went into about springs, shocks and settings. I was also surprised that this car was 2400 pounds. When I asked why so heavy, he replied he needed that weight to run in SCCA ITA class.

I was also there when Jim Schardt bettered Norm's time to set the new Corvair NECC track record. The car preparation was impeccable and the attention to detail was A-one, and of course Jim knew how to drive.

And now Norm comes back once again to reset the NECC FTD Corvair record at Lime Rock with a 103.16, in a 2.7L drum brake car. The man knows how to drive and how to set up a Corvair to go fast.

Will you go faster with a bigger motor and disc brakes? The answer is yes, but only if you know how to drive and understand chassis set up, as both Norm & Jim do.

I'll add my Congratulations to Norm on a great drive and a New NECC Corvair Lap Record. Well done Norm.

Roy

Posted by: "BRETT ASTON" Brett.aston at snet.net   corvair_racer
Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:50 pm (PST)
I just wanted to add that this was done with a 2.7 liter and not a 3.1liter engine. Also this car has drum brakes and not disks.
Brett Aston

yenkobluesbrothers <yenkobluesbrothers at yahoo.com> wrote:
I know he won't blow his own horn, But Norman latulippe has eclipsed
the Corvair Event track record previously held by Jim Schardt. The
record time is 103.16. Lots of prep work went into this car since the
Buffalo Convention when the car scored 0ver 96 points and was made a
senior division concours car --Looks great ----goes like stink.

Bob Peplow