<VV> COOLING FANS - outside the box - Way outside

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Wed Aug 29 15:31:47 EDT 2007

Is  there anybody old enough to remember the "Turbonique" direct drive  engine. It used
a  small gas turbine, as I recall, to direct drive  the rear wheels.

As I recall they made a couple of models.  One was a power plant that replaced the
rear axle differential; the other was a booster that attached to the back of the differential
and ran the ring gear.

They were more of a rocket than an engine in as much as they burned a monopropellant
that, if memory serves me, was called 'thermoline' and required no air supply for
combustion.  They made so much power there would be no need to have the Corvair
engine.  You would not be too happy with the monthly fuel bills.

Ken Pepke