<VV> Strange Electrical Problem

Jim Houston tampatexan at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 10:29:49 EDT 2007

For the last couple of months, when I start my '65 Monza (110/4spd),
SOMETIMES nothing happens when I turn the key.  A few tries, and then it
would start and all would be well.  Last week, I had left the car at my
daughters house for the weekend and when I left to go home, I started it
and at the first corner, it died.  Attempted restart -- nothing... no
amount of trying would make it start.  The radio had no power, nor did
the electric gauges (including a voltmeter).   I pushed it back to her
house and checked the infamous "Red Wire Connection" and it appears fine
- no burning, no corrosion, both sides of the plug look fine.  Still
nothing.  It was getting late, so I called it a day and took her Honda
home.  I did NOT check the headlights at that time.  I went out
yesterday to give it another try.  First thing, I checked the headlights
and they came on.  I concluded the problem was in the ignition switch.
Tried the ignition/start "one more time" and it started.  Shut it off,
and then nothing.  Also, no headlights this time!!  I was laying under
the dash attempting to replace the ignition switch, and the courtesy
lights came on all of a sudden....  surprise!  Tried the start (with the
switch hanging below the dash) and it started!  Took it home - 12 miles
- (with a Honda following me, just in case) and had no problem.  When
arrived home, tried start a couple of times, and all was fine.  My
question is :  should I perform the "bypass surgery" even though the
connection appears okay?  Could it be doing weird things?  Or, could it
be the CB that is installed between the battery and the 3way connector
on the frame rail?  Any help or suggestions would be appreciated as I'm
a bit leery of taking any trips until I find and fix the problem (I hate
it when things "fix" themselves!).

Jim Houston
Tampa, FL