<VV> dimensional analysis (corvair?)

vair65 at netzero.net vair65 at netzero.net
Thu Feb 1 20:17:36 EST 2007

I learned to do this in engineering school about 10 years ago, so it is still being taught to young engineers.  I find it easier to cross off the numerator and denominator when they are the same, then at the end you end up with only the units you need.  Much easier  to see than to explain.
However now I just use MathCad with its built in values.  Helpful when ordering corvair parts and needing to figure the shipping cost.
Keith Hammett, Mech. Eng.
slide rule on bookshelf at work (show only, prefer HP48GX or MathCad)

In my opinion, the real value of dimensional analysis is its ability  to let
you figure out conversions and calculations without having to memorize
formulas.  For example, if you want to convert 60 miles per hour to feet  per second:
    60 miles/hr  X  5280 ft/mile   X  hr/3600 sec    =   88 ft/sec