<VV> Re: Frame Under / Body Swaps

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Mon Feb 5 23:45:56 EST 2007

In a message dated 2/5/2007 7:17:47 PM Pacific Standard Time,
txwayno at yahoo.com writes:

I'm new  to this Virtualvairs type of group "mailing list", so I hope I am
sending this  to the right place.
I'm in the process of rebuilding my '64  Convertable for my son.  Being a
concerned parent, I would like for the  car to have power brakes, easy access to
parts for motor and trans, a/c, heat  and power steering while trying to
retain the classic looks of the car.   We have looked at different options
including a bigger Corvair engine or maybe  a Honda or Subaru engine,  but always end
up back at the "g-body" frame  swap.  Plans are to try and use the floor and
firewall from the g-body as  well,  Just hoping for some pointers from anyone
that has done this in  hopes to save a few headaches along the way.

Thanks for any  help,
TXwayno

I am going to agree with Smitty on this one - in general, and with Mark.
This is a big piece to bite off.  If you are serious , though, about the  G-body
swap, I would suggest a bit of correspondence with the guys who have done  it.
Jay Dover has done at least a couple of them, both a late model and a
Lakewood early model. He knows the ins and outs of the swap. Al Kidd has also  done
at least one, Al even used a convertible for his. If your convertible has a
good floor and undercarriage, I would consider looking for a rusty one, like Al
 did. You will likely find one! You will only need the power steering if you
go to the front engined beasty (G-body), the Corvair certainly doesn't need
it.  I want to mention a car that I saw at the Carlisle Convention in 2003. It
was a  late model that still used the front suspension and stuff from the
Vair, but had  a V8 dropped in between the frame rails and a narrowed, I think,
solid axle at  the rear. You did give up some interior space, but not as much as
you might  think. It was exquisitely finished off and drove to many of the
events. I don't  know the owner, but he did some very nice work. The car seemed
to retain much of  the Corvair flavor as well - More than the G-body set-ups,
in my opinion. But  that is my personal opinion only. I do want to second the
call for a later  car with air-bags for a newer driver. Sh*t happens. And it
doesn't even have to  be their fault.

One other cautionary note on air bags. Although everybody should know this.
Never put a child belted into a car seat in the front seat of a car with  air
bags - unless you have a certain air bag de-activation switch. Locally, in
the last few days a young mother had her baby in a front facing car  seat,
strapped into the right hand front seat, with a passenger taking the  seat in the
back, instead of the other way around. The driver swerved to avoid a  fender
bender, drove off the road and hit the wall of a house - the air bags  deployed
and the baby died from the trauma. Neither the driver or the passenger  in the
back received any injury. In reality, of course, the mother received an
injury that will be with her forever. -  Learn from the mistakes of others,  there
isn't enough time to make them all yourself!  - Seth  Emerson