<VV> 2. Frame under Body Swaps (Smitty Smith)

Wayno txwayno at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 6 04:10:14 EST 2007

Smiity,
   I don't get mad for someone giving advise when I ask for it.  I appreciate your response as you have some good points.  I'll try to shed some light on where I am at.

   First off, this a a project we are working on, but it will NOT be his daily driver.  As you probably have guessed, I am not a purist.  I am more of a Hot Rodder, but I would NOT cut up a good car.  I live on the Gulf Coast and EVERYTHING rust down here if it is kept outside.  Three of the floor areas, the trunk, doors and lids are shot.   I just bought rust free doors, bonnet and engine cover out of Cali. and had them shipped to me.  That should take care of about 80% of the rust.

  With any rebuild/make over/ major change, there are what I would consider headaches, so yea,  I guess I feel the need for self abuse.

  I have owned this car for about 13 years.  I drove it everyday to work for the first 5 of those years and driven it a handful of times since.  So I have driven a Corvair before.  The 110hp motor just doesn't get it done for me.  The rebuilt powerglide trans has the motor screaming at 65-70mph and I am not a fan of drum brakes especially since we will more then likely be putting taller wheels on it.

  I mention power steering because I think it would be a nice to have with the weight of the motor in the front, if we go that way.  If I rebuild what we have or swap out for another motor in the rear, I would not worry about it, because as you say, it is fine as it is.  I actually like the steering in the vair better then my '80 Vette.

  We are not worried about trunk space, but if we did a frame under, I think we would have a little in the back.

  As for the a/c,  have you driven a Corvair with a/c??  I haven't and I just don't know how the motor would carry the extra load.  I'm a VW fan as well and drive a '72 Super daily to work.  I know that an a/c will really tug on a 1600cc VW motor, so it has me concerned with the Vair and yes,  I am guilty when it comes to not maintaining my heating system as I should.

  I have read articles about some who have done the frame under and they all say it works great.  I even tried to email those I came across online at Corvair Corsa as well as V8Vairs , but no responses.  That is why I came to this group or forum or what ever it is, in hopes to get some honest input by someone who has done it.

  Thanks you for your concern. I too would would feel better with airbags in the car, but as that would more then likely not happen, a roll bar and harnesses of some kind are a must.  But even at that, this car will NOT be his daily driver.  NO, he is rolling on 24's in my Avalanche while his old man tools around in a bug (the vette is mommas baby).  The things we do for our kids!
  Again, thanks for your response. I hope I made case a little clearer and will try to keep responses shorter in the future.
  TXwayno

Corvette For Sale: http://houston.craigslist.org/car/250060902.html
  Harley for sale: http://houston.craigslist.org/mcy/250916656.html
  Boat For Sale: http://houston.craigslist.org/boa/250902473.html