<VV> Frame Under / Body Swaps

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Tue Feb 6 11:03:08 EST 2007

What the #$%^@#$%@#$^ is a g-body??  And why and how would a person do a swap?

My '65 convertible's heater works great BTW.  And the defroster does too.  The engine-heated air is really dry and clears the front window quickly.  That's when it's working correctly.  Intact hoses, clean ducts, a good blower motor and no oil leaks.  The air coming out of the little door under the back seat is almost too hot for me to keep my hand over when it's blowing.  And it heats up quick!  My water cooled cars take 15-20 minutes to make warm air.  The Corvair puts it out real quck.

I agree the steering on a Corvair needs no assist; it's nice and light.  The brake effort doesn't need power assist either.  They stop good too. The only reason I would put disks on is to avoid some of the drum brake idiosyncracies.

I think the only things a good condition Corvair needs to make it more suitable for modern everyday driving is a good AC system, a nice stereo and better seats.  I don't mind my stock seats but there' s little adjustablility so if they don't fit you well there's not much you can do about it.  Mine fit me though.  That black vinyl gets hot in the summer sun though!

mikeH