<VV> Electric Fuel Pump...

Andy Clark slowboat at mindspring.com
Wed Feb 7 18:15:09 EST 2007

I converted all my Corvair powered vehicles to electric pumps with pressure
regulations. On the Corvair-bodied cars the fuel filter and the pump with
built-in regulator are mounted on the engine side of the firewall, on the
same side as the starter and forward of it. The equipment is mounted on an
aluminum plate with mounts to the firewall via isolator nuts, to minimize
noise transfer. It's protected there and also out of sight.

I use a Walbro pump, or similar (several brands are the same basic pump).
They are available from your FLAPS.

For the safety shut-off I use a relay to provide power to the pump. The
trigger for the relay is the blue wire which lights the oil pressure light
on the dash. The relay +12v is connected to that wire. Whenever the "Oil"
light is lit, the wire has 12V on it which fires the relay and removes power
from the pump (the pump is wired through the back, or "normally closed",
contacts of the relay). Wiring it that way removes a relay failure from the
fault tree. That is, a relay failure will not strand you with an inoperative
pump, it just won't shut off the fuel if you get in a wreck. There's also a
momentary push-button switch which turns on the pump for priming only.

Works for me, and has for years.
Andy Clark
Camano Island, WA.
1966 140/4 Monza Sedan