<VV> Electric Fuel Pump...

Duane, Jim (US SSA) jim.duane at baesystems.com
Thu Feb 8 12:46:05 EST 2007

Mechanical for me, please.

	You VV'ers ever hear of the term "track pack"?  My buddy did!
His brilliant idea was to back up a stock (mechanical) pump with an
electric pump.  THIS application was on a '68 Buick GS.
	Sooo, we are "motoring" on a highway at a "good clip".  Engine
sputters and dies.  Strong smell of gas.  Before we could figure what
was going on, white smoke appears in and around the engine.  We had an
intake manifold full of fuel.  Pahlease, if you DO put in an electric
fuel pump, make SURE you rig it so the pump is off when:

The engine is not producing oil pressure.

Add cut off switches, inertia switches, bypass switches (momentary
contact, please) or any other contraption.  Yow might forget you have an
electric pump!!!!   Crank for a few seconds, pressure comes up, pump on.
Engine stalls, fuel line breaks, float sticks, "eventually" the pump
will stop.

Jim Duane

'66 180 Corsa CVT