<VV> Chevy related, but not Corvair

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Thu Feb 8 22:00:56 EST 2007

While there is no adjusting of each wheel independently on a solid axle,
the thrust angle needs to be known. Typically if the car is going down
the road straight, the thrust angle is 0 degrees and everything is fine.

The thrust angle is a line perpendicular to the line of the rear axle
shafts, centered at the center of the rear axle assembly. The thrust
angle can be off due to incorrect construction, accidents, worn or rusty
parts. My '77 Nova rusted/sheared the pin that locates the axle to the
rear leaf spring and made the thrust angle large enough that the car
took up most of the lane dog tracking. A Chevy pick up was brought to my
shop after a "good" shop repaired it in a side hit. Dog tracked maybe 4
degrees. The mount for one leaf spring had been hit and not replaced! I
straightend the frame and replaced the mount. All was well.

Remember, the rear axle steers the car down the road, the front wheels
just correct!

The correct term for the alignment you need is a "thrust angle"
alignment. They hang the gizmos on the rear wheels just like a four
wheel alignment, but they only adjust the front and make note of the
rear. But they don't have thrust angle on the menu board, so they write
up 4 wheel....

Frank DuVal