Rear alignment, was: <VV> Chevy related, but not Corvair

airvair airvair at richnet.net
Thu Feb 8 22:48:11 EST 2007

The worst rear alignment problem I personally encountered was on my '84
Fiero. It was one of the first 10,000 built (I found out that the first
40,000 cars were affected) and had been incorrectly "aligned" by
defective factory equipment. It was so bad that in a driving rainstorm,
all I could manage was 40mph with a white-knuckle deathgrip on the
wheel. It wore out the otherwise 40,000-mile-capable tires in just 7,000
miles. Dealer claimed that I'd been doing hole-shots with it. How do you
do a burnout with a 2800# car that has an automatic, 95hp, and 64% of
its weight over the rear axle? Anyway, his mouth hit the floor after I
INSISTED that he put it up on the alignment rack. It was a quarter inch
out of alignment, yet the tires were worn straight across. Go figure.
Anyway, the car was just fine, AFTER it had been properly aligned.

-Mark