<VV> Re: VirtualVairs Digest, Vol 25, Issue 31

mhicks130 at cox.net mhicks130 at cox.net
Thu Feb 8 23:53:30 EST 2007

>--------------------
To me electric fuel pumps are just another upgrade to
a 40 year old car.
Rich

Why does it need an upgrade?  Young Smitty Smith and I have talked about this and I think we pretty much agree.  Changing things on an old car is fine if it's for a good reason.  Changing things just because you can is silly.

Certainly its your car and you can do what you want with it (except run me over dagnabbit!) but I find part of the "charm" of owning and driving a 40 year old car is the old-fashioned doohickies on it.  The points, the mechanical fuel pumps, the drum brakes, the recpricating ball steering, the etc, etc.  Now putting modern radial tires on, that makes good sense.  I suppose the squirley bias ply tires were part of the "charm" also but they're a part I can live without.  If I was having lots of trouble with one of these old technologies or needed a modern upgrade for some other, non normal driving reason, I'd update.  Otherwise, I'll stick with old school.  I've got modern cars, I like the old ones for their oldness.  They're cool.

mikeH