<VV> Reading the dang manual ...NO CORVAIR (unless yours has aradiator)

Charles Lee at Proper Pro Per chaz at ProperProPer.com
Fri Feb 9 20:25:51 EST 2007

Well, the temp was "pretty steady" which is usually good, but not so good when the head is blowing and pistons are cracking, due to the extreme overheating, while the gauge says "All's well."

And so, besides doing a lot of work to fix things that broke, I should have been double-checking all the things that DO work, to make sure that they are, in fact, working ?

I'm not talking about defective gauges, etc, but I do worry about defective designs that don't work, as they were designed to give false readings.

That worries me more than a little.  Sure, cars are more complex than they were for many reasons, but that should be reason to make them more effective in keeping drivers aware of their sensitivities, not keep them in the dark.

Even being buried on page 97 of a 200 page manual is better than giving false readings, requiring second-guessing things that appear to be working ?

Just venting again, since nothing's going to change (the 80/20 rule is alive and well, it seems !)
Thanks for listening
  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Lonny Clark
  To: Charles Lee at Proper Pro Per
  Sent: Friday, February 09, 2007 4:10 PM
  Subject: Re: <VV> Reading the dang manual ...NO CORVAIR (unless yours has aradiator)

  The modern Fords have a pretty steady temperature once they're warmed up, so maybe it is reading correctly. My T-Bird temperature reads correctly - I've double-checked it with an ohmmeter, but the oil pressure gauge is the way you describe your temperature gauge. It just stays at about the two-thirds mark if there's any oil pressure at all. With a simple modification the oil pressure gauge will work the way it's supposed to work. Basically you put a new oil pressure sender on the engine, then you bypass the 20-ohm resistors in the gauge circuit, there is one on the back of the gauge and there may or may not be one near the sender. I don't know if this is true for your model, however.

  I know what you mean about the AC, I never had a car with working AC (nor did my parents) until I moved to Houston. I was only there for a week before I decided I needed to fix the AC, coincidentally in the same Camaro I was talking about earlier.

  Lonny